Engage all members of the school community in establishing a positive school climate that embraces kindness, inclusion, and civility.
Increase the effectiveness of school staff in discussing positive relations with students and responding to what appears to be minor hurtful incidents in a restorative and empowering manner.
Increase the effectiveness of principals in investigating and intervening in the more serious or chronic situations in a manner that is restorative and supports the increased resilience of the involved students.
Watch a new, short, introductory video here.
Book and Video Overview
Engage Students to Embrace Civility provides insight for educators:
- Why current bullying prevention approaches are not effective and research-based strategies to achieve a more positive school climate that fosters positive relations.
- Strategies to empower students to foster positive relations.
- Strategies to empower school staff to effectively respond when they witness hurtful incidents or hurtful incidents are reported.
- Strategies to effectively investigate and intervene in the more serious or chronic situations.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility ~ The Book
Engage Students to Embrace Civility, the book, is now available on Amazon.
The chapters include:
- Chapter 1. Engage Students to Embrace Civility Approach
- Chapter 2. Bullying Prevention: Understanding the Concerns
- Chapter 3. Reasons for the Lack of Effectiveness
- Chapter 4. Integrated Risk Prevention
- Chapter 5. Connections, Competencies, and Engaged Students
- Chapter 6. Positive Strategies to Foster Positive Relations
- Chapter 7. Positive Strategies for Investigation and Intervention
There are also numerous Appendices. Appendices B-H are for the purpose of implementing a positive and restorative investigation and intervention.
- Appendix A. Assessment of Current Strategies
- Appendix B. Investigation Protocol
- Appendix C. Protection Plan
- Appendix D. Positive Action Plan
- Appendix E. Accountability Process for Hurtful Students
- Appendix F. Accountability Process for Hurtful Participants
- Appendix G. Accountability Agreement for Hurtful Students
- Appendix H. Accountability Agreement for Hurtful Participants
Engage Students to Embrace Civility ~ The Videos
Engage Students to Embrace Civility is also available as Professional Development Videos
Two videos are provided to support the professional development of educators. These videos may be watched at no charge.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility Part 1. This video presents the research evidence related to the challenges currently being faced by schools — essentially what is not working and why. (Approximately 45 minutes)
Engage Students to Embrace Civility Part 2, a longer video, presents positive research-based strategies that have a greater likelihood of success. (Approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes)
The Slideshow notes provide ample citations and additional information. This will also enable you to go back to a specific presentation of information after you have watched the video.
Professional Development Units
Depending on your state’s professional development requirements, it may be possible for you to obtain Professional Development Units. Please check with your state or district. The process is this:
- Pay for the PDUs using the PayPal link below.
- Upon payment, you will be directed to a page with questions about what you learned. It is assumed you will take at least 30 minutes to complete this document, thus the amount of time for PDUs will be 2.5.
- Email this completed document to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When you return this document, a certificate will be emailed to you certifying that you participated in 2.5 hours of professional development, the objectives for the program, how these objectives meet the Learn Forward professional development standards, and my professional qualifications.
Please contact me with any questions at email@example.com.
Payment for PDUs
The cost for 2.5 PDUs is only $44.