The objectives of Engage Students to Embrace Civility are to:
- Engage all members of the school community in establishing a positive school climate that embraces kindness, inclusion, and civility.
- Increase the effectiveness of school staff in discussing positive relations with students, responding to what appears to be minor hurtful incidents in a restorative and empowering manner, and identifying the more serious or chronic situations.
- Increase the effectiveness of principals in investigating and intervening in the more serious or chronic situations in a manner that is restorative, supports the empowerment of all involved students, and ensures ongoing monitoring until all parties indicate the matter has been resolved.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility provides insight for educators:
- Why current bullying prevention approaches are not effective and research-based strategies to achieve a more positive school climate that fosters positive relations.
- Strategies to empower students to foster positive relations.
- Strategies to empower school staff to effectively respond when they witness hurtful incidents or hurtful incidents are reported.
- Strategies to effectively investigate and intervene in the more serious or chronic situations.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility Professional Development Videos
Two videos are provided to support the professional development of educators. These videos may be watched at no charge.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility Part 1. This video presents the research evidence related to the challenges currently being faced by schools — essentially what is not working and why. (Approximately 45 minutes)
Engage Students to Embrace Civility Part 2, a longer video, presents positive research-based strategies that have a greater likelihood of success. (Approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes)
The Slideshow notes provide ample citations and additional information. This will also enable you to go back to a specific presentation of information after you have watched the video.
Professional Development Units
Depending on your state’s professional development requirements, it may be possible for you to obtain Professional Development Units. Please check with your state or district. The process is this:
- Pay for the PDUs using the PayPal link below.
- Upon payment, you will be directed to a page with questions about what you learned. It is assumed you will take at least 30 minutes to complete this document, thus the amount of time for PDUs will be 2.5.
- Email this completed document to: email@example.com.
- When you return this document, a certificate will be emailed to you certifying that you participated in 2.5 hours of professional development, the objectives for the program, how these objectives meet the Learn Forward professional development standards, and my professional qualifications.
Please contact me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment for PDUs
Until June 15, the cost for 2.5 PDUs is only $44. This is an introduction price offer. The price will go up after June 15.
I have spent many years conducting the research to develop this insight. This effort has been self-funded. If you care to make a donation in gratitude for this resource, this would be gratefully received. I am not a 504(c)3.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility Positive and Restorative Interventions
This document is almost complete.