Engage Students to Embrace Civility
The objectives of Engage Students to Embrace Civility are to:
- Engage all members of the school community in establishing a positive school climate that embraces kindness, inclusion, and civility.
- Increase the effectiveness of school staff in discussing positive relations with students, responding to what appears to be minor hurtful incidents in a restorative and empowering manner, and identifying the more serious or chronic situations.
- Increase the effectiveness of principals in investigating and intervening in the more serious or chronic situations in a manner that is restorative, supports the empowerment of all involved students, and ensures ongoing monitoring until all parties indicate the matter has been resolved.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility is a book that is in final stages of writing and editing. This resource provides insight for educators:
- Why current bullying prevention approaches are not effective and research-based strategies to achieve a more positive school climate that fosters positive relations.
- Strategies to empower students to foster positive relations.
- Strategies to empower school staff to effectively respond when they witness hurtful incidents or hurtful incidents are reported.
- Strategies to effectively investigate and intervene in the more serious or chronic situations.
Additional resources will also be provided:
- Fostering Positive Relations. Document and slideshow providing key instructional insight both for staff and student leaders.
- Effective Staff Responses to Hurtful Incidents. Document and slideshow for staff training.
The following are some preliminary resources:
- Engage Students to Embrace Civility Introduction
- “Troubled Waters” Survival Guide for Oregon Schools (This is of relevance to schools in other states, but does in part focus on some Oregon data.)
- The Harmful Reliance on Token Rewards
Keynotes, Webinars, and Workshops
Nancy Willard is available for keynotes, webinars, and workshops at state, regional, or national conferences.
The keynote presentation will be an uplifting focus on strategies to Foster Positive Relations. This will address research-based strategies to empower students who are being treated badly, influencing students who are hurtful to stop and make things right, and increasing positive peer intervention. The workshops will delve into the same issues as the school/district-based workshops.
A video of Nancy delivering a Keynote is here.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The title of this work has just been changed from Empower Students to Embrace Civility to Engage Students to Embrace Civility. In some documents, the old title may still be used.