Positive Parenting in the Age of Anxiety
This short guide will provide you with positive parenting suggestions grounded in positive psychology and trauma informed care.
Concerns of Toxic Stress
- Harvard University Center on the Developing Child, Tackling Toxic Stress
- Center for Disease Control, Adverse Childhood Experiences.
- National Child Traumatic Stress Center.
- Oprah 60 Minutes Interview on Trauma.
- Hey Sigmund, The Effects of Toxic Stress on the Brain and Body: How to Heal and Protect.
- Helpful article from Slate, Unhelpful Punishment.
Self Determination Theory
- Videos on Self Determination Theory
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
- Self Determination Theory V1. (for educators)
- Camp Stomping Ground (this is an advertisement for a camp, however, a great introduction).
- Greater Good Science Center (Sign up for their newsletter)
- Pursuit of Happiness (check out their 7 habits and compare)
- Rick Hanson, author of Just One Thing and Hardwiring Happiness. (Sign up for his newsletter)
- Project Happiness
- The Positive Psychology Center
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
Connections and Friendship
- Friends Psychology Today
- Making Friends: What to do when your child can’t – WebMD
- How Children Make Friends Psychology Today (Part 1 – check out the other parts)
- Kids Who Need a Little Help to Make Friends Child Mind Institute
- How to Help Kids Make Friends Parenting Science
- VIA Character Institute (Take their survey on Character Strengths)
- Character Strengths Inventory (shorter – based on VIA survey)
- Gratitude Psychology Today
- The 31 Benefits of Gratitude Happier Human
- Proflowers. 42 Ways to Practice Gratitude Everyday
- The Science Behind Gratitude Happify
- Mindfulness Psychology Today
- Mindfulness in the Age of Complexity Harvard Business Review
- Engaged Mindfulness Institute
- Mindful Schools
- Empowering Education
- Conduct a search for “mindfulness, children”
Stand Tall – Presence
- Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are Dr. Amy Cuddy Ted Talk
- Let it Go – from Frozen – note when Elsa stands tall and gains “power.”
- Think Kids Massachusetts General Hospital
- Lives in the Balance Collaborative and Proactive Solutions
- I Can Problem Solve.