Engage all members of the school community in establishing a positive school climate that embraces kindness, inclusion, and civility.
Increase the effectiveness of school staff in discussing positive relations with students and responding to what appears to be minor hurtful incidents in a restorative and empowering manner.
Increase the effectiveness of principals in investigating and intervening in the more serious or chronic situations in a manner that is restorative and supports the increased resilience of the involved students.
Watch a new, short, introductory video here.
These are some new articles related to these concerns:
- Increase Student Resilience. This document provides insight into research-based strategies schools can use to increase student resilience.
- Rethinking Token Rewards. This document outlines the concerns associated with the use of token rewards in schools, a feature of Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports. There is a misperception that PBIS will reduce bullying, because, although lacking any research to make the claim PBIS has been claiming that it will reduce bullying. This recent study demonstrates that this is not the case.
- School Safety. As schools enter the new school year, given the events that transpired last spring, school safety has obviously emerged as a significant concern. This article addresses Trauma Informed School Safety.
- Bullying and Harassment. This article focuses on the bullying statute and data in Oregon, but addresses a concern that is in all other states.
- Parents of Children with Disabilities. This document outlines what schools should be doing in situations where students with disabilities are being bullied and how parents can insist the school respond effectively.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility provides insight for educators:
- Why current bullying prevention approaches are not effective and research-based strategies to achieve a more positive school climate that fosters positive relations.
- Strategies to empower students to foster positive relations.
- Strategies to empower school staff to effectively respond when they witness hurtful incidents or hurtful incidents are reported.
- Strategies to effectively investigate and intervene in the more serious or chronic situations.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility ~ The Book
Engage Students to Embrace Civility, the book, is now available on Amazon.
The chapters include:
- Chapter 1. Evidence That what Schools are Doing is Not Working and Why This Matters
- Chapter 2. Why What Schools are Doing Isn’t Working
- Chapter 3. Creating Safe and Welcoming Schools
- Chapter 4. Connections, Competencies, and Engaged Students
- Chapter 5. Positive Strategies to Foster Positive Relations
- Chapter 6. Legal Issues
- Chapter 7. Positive Strategies for Intervention
There are also numerous Appendices. Appendices B-H are for the purpose of implementing a positive and restorative investigation and intervention.
- Appendix A. Assessment of Current Strategies
- Appendix B. Investigation Protocol
- Appendix C. Protection Plan
- Appendix D. Positive Action Plan
- Appendix E. Accountability Process for Hurtful Students
- Appendix F. Accountability Process for Hurtful Participants
- Appendix G. Accountability Agreement for Hurtful Students
- Appendix H. Accountability Agreement for Hurtful Participants