Embrace Civility In The Digital Age
Shifting from “bullying prevention” to “embracing civility.”
The focus of Embrace Civility in the Digital Age is on promoting and strengthening positive behaviors that will foster positive relations. Embracing civility is an approach that shifts from rules and punishment “bullying prevention” to creating an environment where hurtful behavior is incompatible with the accepted social norms–a positive school or organization climate and cultural competence. This requires:
Empowering young people to embrace civility by helping them gain the values and skills to:
- Effectively step in to help if they witness hurtful behavior.
- Stop themselves from being hurtful and make things right if they have been.
- Be self-confident and respond in a powerfully positive manner if someone is hurtful to them.
Ensuring school staff and other adults who work with young people:
- Have an accurate understanding of the dynamics of hurtful behavior.
- Use effective strategies to intervene in hurtful incidents and assist young people in resolving hurtful situations.
[/kc_column_text][/kc_column][kc_column width=”50%” _id=”895660″][kc_carousel_images img_size=”medium” items_number=”1″ speed=”811″ pagination=”yes” auto_play=”yes” delay=”10″ _id=”394310″ images=”2880,2879,2878,2877″ onclick=”none”][/kc_column][/kc_row][kc_row use_container=”yes” _id=”791130″][kc_column width=”50%” _id=”783487″][kc_column_text _id=”959350″]
Be a Leader! Embrace Civility
Be a Leader! Embrace Civility is a FREE program for students in 4th through 12th grade that teaches values and skills in five key areas:
- Reach Out. Be kind to those who are treated badly or left out and help resolve conflict.
- Say “Stop.” Help those who are hurtful stop, accept personal responsibility, and remedy the harm.
- Report Concerns. Report serious concerns to an adult who can help.
- Stop, Own it, and Fix It. If you were hurtful, stop yourself and remedy the harm.
- Be Positively Powerful. Respond effectively if someone is hurtful and become positively powerful.
Empower Students to Embrace Civility
Empower Students to Embrace Civility is a 6 Unit professional development Moodle course for educators offered through eThink, a Moodle Partner.
- Gain insight into current challenges in bullying prevention research and expert recommendations for a more effective approach.
- Learn how to better empower students who are targeted with self-confidence and resilience; help those who are hurtful to stop, own it, and fix it; and increase positive interventions by peers.
- Learn how to more effectively respond to hurtful incidents.
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D., is the Director of Embrace Civility in the Digital Age.
Nancy’s approach is grounded in youth empowerment and restorative practices.
Nancy Willard is available for workshops and webinars for professional development.
She is also available to assist in litigation or agency enforcement actions
Over the years, Nancy has written articles and appeared in webinars or interviews.
Over the years, Nancy has written numerous documents and reports.
Nancy’s resources to address digital safety are available here.